Transforming economies together!
BUILDING ECONOMIC POWER AGAINST GENDER BASED VIOLENCE AND FEMICIDE
Activity Date: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 13:00
Time Zone: GMT+02:00
The session will explore how the recently adopted National Strategic plan to End Gender Based Violence and Femicide in South Africa can offer one of the possibilities of a policy tool to transform the GBV lanscape for lasting change.
South Africa remains one of the most unequal countries in the world, with unrelenting poverty.
It is our belief, that only through a restructured economy, with feminist economic models, can GBV be a reality of the past. The policy framework, offers a chapter on building womxns economic power as a critical pillar in the fight against violence.
Whilst we know that a policy alone, will not do much, the session will look at the possibilities of what the recently adopted policy in co-creating a politics of economic transformation for womxn and gender non-binary people.
Methodology and expected results:
Lead in presentation and open discussion
- Contact (Email): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Activity format: Convergence Space
- Main Area: Governance (democracy / decision making), Wellbeing (individual and social well-being), Gender equality (Feminism and LGBTQI rights)
- List of areas: Access to knowledge, Activism, Advocacy, Feminism, Gender equity
- Which of the 4 dimensions of transformation does the activity address?: Transforming power relations, Transforming economy and finance
- Documentation of the activity: The South African Gender Based Violence National Strategic Plan 2020 (with economic power action plan and pillar)
- Language(s) of the Activity: English
- Proponent Organizations: Oxfam South Africa